The kitchen was the last major room in the house I’ve touched.
Honestly, I was ok with the late 70s cabinets since we moved in.
Once I started looking for update ideas on Pinterest,
it didn’t take me long to make a plan
to spruce up our living quarters.
Check out my kitchen refresh board.
I opted for navy cabinets on the bottom and white on the top.
Navy is a great neutral color – think blue jeans.
And ultimately, I plan to add a rustic look by adding an island, back splash tile,
and concrete countertop (that is phase 2 at a date unknown at the time of this posting).
Looking back at the pictures now, I remember how far we’ve come!
Kevin was gone one weekend and I started painting the ceiling.
Then I took all the doors off and hardware
then scrubbed them down well with Simple Green commercial strength,
and sanded each one.
That whole process alone took me about a week or two.
Unfortunately, when I painted the ceiling, part of the popcorn came down.
Right above the stove, I got one small spot and then another.
I convinced Kevin that it could be fixed.
He gave it a good try, and even up until I painted over the new texture,
we thought we were in the clear,
but the paint revealed a huge difference in the amount of texture applied,
and we had to scrape the ceiling and start over.
Scraping the ceiling meant retaping everything,
making a massive amount of dust in the house
– it’s a shame I didn’t get a picture of the two of us covered head to toe in dust -
then loading up the spray gun with texture (orange peel)
and another coat of paint.
Painting the cabinets though was the most tedious process.
Two coats of primer in, and we realized the wood was bleeding through.
After some quick internet research, I suggested to Kevin we buy shellac based primer.
Since he thought I was insane, I ran to Menards and returned with a gallon of regular,
and a spray can of shellac primer, which we tested on a small door.
Amazingly, the shellac primer covered really well!
I returned the regular zinsser primer and exchanged it for the shellac.
Just one coats of this,
then 3 or 4 (I think we lost count)
coats of high gloss paint on the cabinet doors and drawers.
There are 25 doors and 7 drawers.
All of this work took us over 2 months in total.
This was a lot longer than I imagined.
We had to let the doors dry for a few weeks before installing them,
since anytime we touched them they got a scratch.
Also, since our kitchen was destroyed for most of it,
I scraped together what I could in the grocery department:
grilled here and there and made microwave side dishes.
It wasn’t pretty, I admit.
Also, since I spent time to rearrange everything in my cabinet,
Kevin is experiencing a bit of the “who moved my cheese” syndrome.
But I am loving the new look! I feel more organized,
and everything feels very clean!
There are still some small items to finish
like adding the trim,
and building another pull out cabinet for my spices,
but that should finish off phase 1!